It’s almost a cliché to talk about living in the Now, but apart from the hype and misconceptions about it, it remains an extremely worthy goal. The concept certainly didn’t originate with “The Power of Now,” by Eckhart Tolle, but he certainly gave it mainstream accessibility. The concept is simple – live in the moment – but the execution for mortals is not always so easy. Of course, everyone is going to have different experiences in trying to stay in the Now: some of us can do it handily; others may struggle with the process. It almost doesn’t matter, because just being aware of its importance is an excellent starting off point.
There are some extremely valuable benefits for anyone living in the present:
1. The weight of the world is lifted from your shoulders.
2. No need to remember or constantly reference the past, since it’s gone and has no hold over you.
3. No need to worry about the future, because there is no future, only the present moment.
4. It becomes much easier to achieve goals, because there is so much less baggage that you are carrying.
5. It becomes so much easier to exercise your free will in every situation, because the amount of fear in your life has plummeted.
6. You can experience gratitude for just being alive in this moment, something that many people have yet to fathom.
7. You can appreciate and take advantage of everything at your disposal in this moment, because that’s all there is.
8. You can let yourself love everyone and everything that crosses your path, because it feels so good.
9. You can direct your thoughts to support this consciousness of the moment, and not give weight to any other thoughts.
10. You begin to experience what “heaven on earth” is like.
Sounds pretty good to me…